Monday, April 03, 2006



I didn't post this until 2006 even though it happened in 2004. I didn't know about blogs back in 2004 and then I forgot about it until I was looking at some old photos. It's nice looking at old photos, especially when they are about you.

This would be the longest trip I have ever taken, by far. This was my second road trip so I was still a moderate newbe. I did a trip to Hemet last year and it taught me many lessons about long distance riding. It also opened my eyes to the joys of riding.

The Plan

This year's plan is to pick up Ronnie (Riding buddy from web site) in Nevada, then we would head south on 95a and then cut across the Extraterrestrial Hwy to Utah, then weave our way into Colorado.
It should be a piece of cake That's the 10 second version, believe me you don't want to hear the 24 minute version

I left mid morning and was in no hurry. I was only going to Ronnie’s house about 3 to 4 hours away and the mood I was in it would most likely be 4. The plan was for me to spend the night once I got there and we would get a early start the next morning. Didn’t work out that way.

The ride over the hill was fantantic. It always is, you go from 800 to 7,000 ft then back down to 4000 ft with in an hour and a half. Twisties great views the whole way.


I pulled into Ronnie's place about 3pm and he met me out in front of his house. He had a big smile and looked ready to go. He was very excited about this trip and so was I. Like two boys waiting to open their presents on Christmas morning.

He said “Oh, hey, I bought my wife a new bike. Then lead me out to the barn where it was stored. He showed me Claudine’s pretty red Honda Rebel 250. Then he looked at me and said,
“Hell, why not start now?”

I had just taken my gloves off, my butt still warm from the saddle. My brain kicked into high gear and calculated how many hours of day light were left and how far we could get before dark. At that moment it made good sense to me. Why not?

I said “Let's go!”

So, we spend the next hour packing Ronnie’s bike and we were off!

It is such a high for me at the begining of a trip. You know there is a unknown adventure awaiting you and you also know there is…good,.. bad,.. ugly…and great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home